Sunday, December 19, 2010

Winter Snow

Winter is here! My idea of winter is the Southern California version- 60 degrees and cloudy, maybe 55 degrees on a really cold day, so for this California girl, the proper winter here in Prague feels a bit more like the North Pole(or as the Brits like to call it, Santa's Grotto). Every day I layer up with as many layers as I can possibly get away with and take a deep breath before I venture into the frozen tundra.
We've had snow on the ground for a month now, and it's truly remarkable how beautiful the landscape looks with a blanket of snow, but travel to and from work has been a bit interesting! After a few nasty spills and a trip to the Czech Foreigner's Hospital I have had to rethink my plan for surviving this winter. First, I've increased my walk to work by about 20 minutes to avoid walking down the slippery, unmaintained hills near my work. Second, I've lost all manner of fashion sense and bought some ridiculously expensive winter boots. We have a Christmas party to go to tonight and I'd considered dressing up. There's no way to look cute with shoes like this, I give up! I am eternally grateful for their ability to keep me vertical, however. If I can get back to California in one piece, I will gladly wait to wear my cute shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment