Monday, August 2, 2010

In Transit

These past few weeks have felt like a whirlwind. So much preparation has gone into this move that it feels so weird to not have one million things to do anymore. Jay did such a great job organizing the business side of things, and that took months of planning on his end. This move felt like moving x5. All the shit that you end up throwing in a box cause you don't know what to do with it had to be dealt with before we left. Our storage unit is a lot more full than we thought it would be but we still did pretty well. Three pieces of furniture and 11 regular size storage bins later, our whole loot of worldy possessions are sitting inside of Stow Away Storage.
The night before we moved was so, so, so hard. We had all of our close friends come by for a lovely dinner catered by Phoenicia thanks to the Kivetts. Hanging out was fun, but knowing all the little things we had to do kept us a bit distracted. After everyone left was so stressful because we finalized all of our packing only to realize that all of our bags were over the 50lb weight limit. Mind you all of our stuff was already in storage so we no longer had bins to throw stuff in or any reasonable means to take care of these loose ends. At 1 in the morning it felt like the world was ending. We were so exhausted and emotionally drained from all of the goodbyes. In the end I got about 3 hours of sleep and Jay got about 2.
I saved the worst part for last. I was dreading, absolutely dreading, saying goodbye to Juliana. All of the goodbyes sucked a bit, but this one was the worst. Well, maybe it ties with saying goodbye to my mom at the airport. I'd been trying to prep myself for it for weeks but I knew nothing would make it better. I did ok during the actual goodbye part, but when she closed her car door and they were about to drive off I felt like someone punched me in the stomach and I didn't even want to stand. Poor Jay was standing there with me as I bawled. It's not that I felt like I wouldn't see her again, it was the companionship and everyday things I was going to miss. The idea of not seeing her and Scarlet about every two days is just unfathomable. God I miss her already. Saying goodbye to my mom and sister was really hard. Luckily they were short goodbyes cause otherwise I might not have survived them.
This time in Pennsylvania is going by dreadfully slow. We geared up for all these goodbyes and this new adventure and then there's this lull before all that actually happens. It's funny because I already feel like I'm in a foreign place. Our propensity for drinking coffee and eating vegan food and pretty much anything normal that we did is not received well here. I guess I better get used to it. I'm looking forward to Wednesday, it looks like my dream will come true afterall and we will go to New York city before we fly out. It is still undecided exactly where we will stay, but if my instinct serves me correctly I envision a trip to Red Bamboo and some great coffee in our future. Hallelujah! I could use something to cheer myself up.

No comments:

Post a Comment